Allahabad High Court
Law Museum & Archives
Timings: 10:00 AM - 05:00 PM
The Indian High Courts Act, 1861 provided for establishment of the Calcutta, Bombay and Madras High Courts. It also reserved power in Her Majesty Queen Victoria to constitute similar High Court in any other part of the country. The Letters Patent/Charter dated 17th March, 1866 was issued constituting the High Court of Judicature for North-Western Provinces which started functioning at Agra on 18th June, 1866. It shifted to Allahabad in 1869 and functioned in the building which now houses the Board of Revenue. On 27th November, 1916, it was shifted to its present building. The Name of the High Court was changed to High Court of Judicature at Allahabad by Supplementary Letters Patent dated 11th March, 1919.
In 1966, the centenary celebration of this Court took place. The celebration committee chaired by the then Honourable Chief Justice Sri Nasirullah Beg with Honourable Mr. Justice S.N. Katju as its honorary secretary conceived a plan to mount an exhibition of judicial records, photographs of Honourable Chief Justices and other artefacts during the centenary celebrations. The exhibition was highly appreciated by the visitors, including foreign dignitaries. Later it was decided to convert the exhibition into a museum of Court records. Therefore, a Museum was set up within the High Court premises containing very old and rare documents relating to the judicial system, landmark judgments, firmans of Mughal emperors, judgments in Persian language (which was the Court language during the British Period before the establishment of the High Court in 1866) and photographs of Honourable Chief Justices from 1866 upto the present arranged chronologically, the British emblem and photographs of Honourable Judges who were elevated as Judges and Chief Justices of Supreme Court of India, eminent members of the Bar and old furniture.
Thereafter, with financial aid from the State Government, a new independent building of the Law Museum and Archives was built. This was inaugurated in 2021 by the then Chief Justice, Shri Justice Govind Mathur. This is the only Law Museum of its kind in India.
The Law Museum and Archives also contains valuable materials for research on the past judicial system and also the British judicial system in India. The rare and valuable documents and firmans of Mughal rulers and others, available in the Museum, provide glimpses of the old judicial system and administration.
|A replica/model of the High Court Building as existing in 1916.|
|Charter for the establishment of the High Court of Judicature at Allahabad.|
|The British Emblem carved in wood (it was in the court room of the Chief Justice prior to independence).|
|Pre-independence wooden Chairs for Judges for use in court rooms and in their Chambers.|
|Antique grandfather's clock and Ansonian wall clock.|
|Red Ceremonial Gown and Wig.|
|Photograph of a compromise deed by Sant Tulsidas in the 17th century in a dispute relating to partition in Benaras. It is written in Awadhi language and bears the seal of approval of the Qazi of Benaras.|
|A wax impression of the seal of the Court prior to independence.|
|Old pen holders with Ink-pots|
Abdullah and others
Criminal Appeal No.51 of 1923
Banwari Lal and others
Criminal Appeal No.186 of 1927
Bajrang Singh & others
Criminal Appeal No.1028 of 1944
Bacha Babu and another
Criminal Appeal No.162 of 1934
Smt. Indira Nehru Gandhi
Election Petition No.05 of 1971
There is also an Audio-Visual Room in the Law Museum & Archives where short documentaries are played to showcase the importance of the Allahabad High Court and history of this Court for information and educational purpose.
The Law Museum and Archives publishes calenders, diaries, etc. every year. There is a sale counter where mementoes, calendars, diaries, the Sesquicentenary Celebration commemoration volumes, watches, and other items can be purchased by all at reasonable prices.
A ticket of a token amount of Rs. 10 /- per person is proposed as the entry fee to the Law Museum & Archives. To make it more useful to the Law students of various Law Institutions, the entry fee of such students or group of students may be exempted if information in this regard is communicated prior to visit.
Law Museum & archives
Entry Fee:- Rs. 10/-
Law Museum & Archives
10, Thornhill Road,
Near Sai Mandir,
Prayagraj - 211001
Shri RAMESH CHANDRA GOEL
Office:- (0532) 2622010
Shri SANTOSH KUMAR
Section Officer (Museum)